What is the European Union? Is the
So… who can join the UE? They can be members of the UE those countries who:
- Are european
- Respect the democratic values of the EU (rule of law, human rights, democratic elections, separation of powers…)
- Have a functioning market economy and the capacity to compite with the UE market economy
- Are able to take the obligations of membership
The UE acts like a big state, with its democratic pillars:
*Rule of law in the EU: every action taken by the EU is founded on treaties that have been approved voluntarily and democratically by all EU member countries. (more information)
Spain in the EU
After Francisco Franco dictators death in 1975, Foreign Minister Marcelino Oreja officially presented in Brussels Spain’s application for accession to the European Economic Community (UE’s previous institution), and Spain was officially integrated into the EEC on 1 January 1986. Since then, Spain has seen huge economic, social and political transformations.
Even though Spain has a central government located in Madrid and a general law-code, its territories also have their limited selfgoverments (autonomous communities), with their own limited law-codes (statutes). These autonomous regions are in turn, divided in provinces which are divided in local governments as well, therefore we can conclude that the power is decentralised.
EXERCISE: Learn about spanish territorial division
EXERCISE: Learn about basque territorial division
Basque Autonomous Community
What is the Basque Autonomous Community? Is one of the regions that form Euskal Herria.
- Is based on the Statute of Autonomy of the Basque Country, ratified by referendum on 25 October 1979.
- As it is a region with selfgovernment, it has its own parliament (elected by the basque people), president (“lehendakaria“, elected by the basque parliament) and judicial court.
- It’s divided in three provinces (Bizkaia, Gipuzkoa and Araba) specifically designated “historical territories“, with their own governmet institutions (Batzar Nagusiak and Foru Aldundiak).